Frequently Asked Questions
Your Salmon fishing charter will include
- Captain / Guide
- Rods, Reels and Bait
- USCG Life Vests and Safety gear
- Fish cleaning and bagged up *see below*
- Small boat includes a cooler for your drinks and snacks*
- We will only filet the fish and put in large freezer bags for transportation home. WE WILL NOT CUT UP IN SMALL PORTIONS OR CUT THE HEADS OFF. you are welcome to do this yourself back at the dock in Mckinley's Marinas fish cleaning station if open.
Layers, Layers, Layers!
*LONG PANTS see below. We suggest you dress in layers. This way, you are comfortable, whether it is hot or cold. The best estimate for temperature offshore is to subtract 10-20 degrees from the temperature on land. Early mornings and later night trips are cooler than midday.
*It is also important to note that it can get "buggy" on the lake, long sleeves and pants help to protect from the bugs.
Closed-toe shoes are crucial. No one wants to step on a hook in flip flops.
Unless there is lightening or hazardous conditions, we fish rain or shine!
Yes you need one! If stopped by Wisconsin's Department of Natural Resources (DNR), you will need to show them this document. (click here to purchase)
Yes: You will need to bring proof or a printed copy of your fishing license with the Great Lake Salmon and Trout Stamp the day of your trip.
Children under 16: children under 16 years old do not need a license.
Best Deal In State & Out-of-state Clients: The 2 day license option this includes the Great Lake stamp (this option is cheaper than purchasing a one day license + buying the stamp).
*if you already have a resident of Wi annual fishing license make sure you have the require great lake stamp NOT the inland trout stamp
Wisconsin DNR website: https://dnr.wi.gov/
- Your fishing license with Great Lakes Salmon and Trout stamp
- Motion-sickness relief 30 minutes to an hour before the trip
- If you wait until you feel sick it will be too late.
- We can bring you back to shore, but once the boat leaves the dock it is considered a trip and you will be charged for the full trip.
- 2 large bags of ice, one for the fish box on the boat and one for the cooler.
- Medium-sized cooler for cleaned fish. leave in your car or on our dock for later
- Sunscreen and sunglasses
- Drinks and snacks and a cooler for the 29ft or 31f t boat Our Tournament boat Dorado has a cooler
- soft alcoholic beverages are permitted, though please, refrain from bringing glass bottles.
- Bug lotion (we love Picaridin insect repellent)
- It surprises many of our clients to find that there can be a lot of flies on Lake Michigan that tend to bite ankles and feet (long pants, socks and closed-toe shoes can also help).
- * Note-Larger coolers will take away deck space and make it harder to reel in fish. On the 23' Dorado we have a large cooler we can transfer drinks and snacks into. If your cooler is small enough we can bring aboard.
Upon clicking "book now", or "view Trips" or the link below you will be redirected to our booking site where you will be able to search for trips matching your location, date, and group size.
At check out, you will be putting down a $100 deposit on your trip you picked. Choose only 1 item. The remaining balance will be paid on the day of your trip (note: remaining balance will include a 3% fee if paying with card). We will email you soon after booking, check your Junk mail if you do not get your conformation!
Our Booking Link Below (We Own That Site)
- PLEASE CALL US BEFORE BOOKING TO MAKE 100% SURE WE DID NOT JUST BOOK THIS DAY.DATES GO FAST.
You only need to be here 5-10 min before your trips departure time. Your captain will arrive to the marina about 15min before your departure time. Please do not call us until 5 min before your trip. If we call you, you are late. see below on what number to call and where to meet your captain.
When you arrive at McKinley Marina* (directly across the street from Colectivo coffee), you will park in the first lot to your right. This lot is free to the public. you also can park on the east side wall next to the boat ramp.
Finding Your Captain
After parking, walk down the road to the roundhouse (octagon shaped building with a white roof) to meet your captain. Our boats are located inside the locked pier, so you will need to call to notify us that you have arrived! Please note, if you call the other boat you may not get through. This is a goof time to use the restrooms in the roundhouse. Don't use-porta -potty outside, they are nasty.
Milwaukee Offshore Fishing I - Capt Nick
Milwaukee Offshore Fishing III 4 person - Tournament Dorado
Milwaukee Offshore Fishing II - Capt Chris
*McKinley Marina's website shows that the roundhouse is closed. This does not affect these directions or your charter.
**Weather on land does not always predict the weather offshore! In the event of a weather cancellation, we ask that you respect and trust your captain's decision.**
Rain: We fish rain or shine! Sometimes rain can even be better for fishing!
Lightning: Some days we are able to delay the trip until lightning passes and other days we have to cancel/ reschedule.
Wind: Windy conditions create waves that can be difficult and hazardous for fishing (e.g. it may cause lines to get tangled or be difficult stand up while reeling in a fish). If the forecast calls for significant wind, your captain will likely cancel/ reschedule the trip. We may need to return earlier than originally planned, if the wind picks up while fishing.
Safety: While these boats are well-equipped and capable of handling many conditions, our captains are experienced in determining what will be safe and enjoyable for you.
Customer Cancellations: If the customer cancels, they will lose the deposit due to the short season. We may have turned away another customer. In the event of unforeseen circumstances, we will hold the deposit until the end of the season and apply the deposit to a rescheduled trip.
Legally, we cannot guide more than 6 people on a boat. If you have 7-an 16 people in your group you can book with us we have many boats and we can divide your group. This inspires some friendly competition!
- you might be asked for a larger deposit for holding more then one boat
Yes, absolutely! Fishing can be fun for all ages, though we ask that children under 8 years old wear a life jacket at all times.
Milwaukee Offshore Fishing has many options to pay your balance on the day of your trip. We do Not hold your deposit. Your balance will be the trip amount minus your deposit given to us at booking,
Cash: Cash is King
Venmo: Captain Nick Only
Credit card: We take all major brands including discover
*credit card and venmo transactions have a 3% extra fee added to your balance
Tips : 15%-20% is normally what most customers tip for a service based experience